Sunday, August 17, 2014

Changing the Mindset to Develop Therapeutics

I feel that I need to change my mindset to develop diagnostics and therapeutics for Wolfram syndrome and Type 1 Diabetes. We learn how to diagnose and treat patients using established drugs and devices in medical schools. In academic medicine, we tend to think about publishing our findings. To bring new drugs, diagnostic methods, and devices to patients, we should have different mindset and expertise. I am learning and changing. The pipeline is a "serendipity", and then we need to get out from research to achieve a clinical implementation of the discovery.

I was reading the oath written by our first-year medical students for their White Coat ceremony on August 15. It says, "I pledge that my patient will always be my foremost consideration." It is always good to remember the spirit that you started with.

I am sending kind thoughts towards you. I hope you will have a wonderful day. Thank you for reading this.