Saturday, February 15, 2014

In Memory of K

Yesterday I was heartbroken because I learned of the death of Ms. K, a young woman with Wolfram syndrome. I was not helpful. I could not even find a way to delay the progression of the disease. I felt devastated. I really felt devastated. I was very sad and could not respond to any emails for several hours.

As a person, I sometimes feel scared. Although I am always doing my best and determined to figure out a way to help patients with Wolfram syndrome, I know that I am not a god. The treatment I am planning to test may not be effective. I often wake up at midnight and feel scared. However, as a physician, I swear to figure out a way to stop the progression of Wolfram syndrome, find a way to regenerate damaged tissues, and give patients hope. I think I should keep on running to figure out a way to help patients with Wolfram syndrome.

I saw Ms. K reading a poem entitled a single second in time, which reminded me of Sam Berns, a wonderful young man with progeria, a rare disease characterized by accelerated aging. Sam passed away earlier this year. Although he was much younger than myself, I learned a lot from him and  his interviews. You may want to watch the following video and read Dr. Francis Collin's blog on him. His philosophy for a happy life is a wonderful piece to watch. Take care everyone, and have a nice weekend. I will appreciate a single second in time just like Ms. K.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36m1o-tM05g
http://directorsblog.nih.gov/2014/01/12/in-memory-of-sam-berns/