Saturday, January 11, 2014

Treating vision impairment part 1 - my concept

One of the most frequent questions that I get from patients with Wolfram syndrome and type 1 diabetes is how we can treat blindness. I have one answer right now.

The mechanisms of vision impairment in Wolfram syndrome and type 1 diabetes are different. In short, the vision impairment in type 1 diabetes is a problem in small blood vessels supplying nutrition to the eyes. It is caused by high blood sugar levels and called retinopathy. The vision impairment in Wolfram syndrome is a problem in neuronal cells in the eyes transferring the electrical signal produced in the eye to the brain. It is caused by neuronal cell death and called optic atrophy.

Today, I will focus on optic atrophy. One of the major neuronal cells in the eyes declining in Wolfram syndrome are "retinal ganglion cells" which transmit electrical signals to the brain. If we can make these cells and transplant them to Wolfram patients, we can possibly treat blindness or improve eyesight. To accomplish this, we need a source for new retinal ganglion cells. I believe that induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs) is the source for the new retinal ganglion cells. I will explain you about the iPSC cells in my next blog.