Wednesday, January 15, 2014

My last conversation with my father on January 15th, 1988

My father passed away 26 years ago on January 15th. He had a terminal cancer, and my brother and I were still in our teens. It was devastating to our family. At his death bed, I promised him that I would be a doctor and make a difference in the future of patients. My father was a physician scientist, and professor and chair at the University of Tokyo, the best university in Japan. He was a doctor for the Japanese Emperor's family. He was a hematologist and studying leukemia in children. I was always proud of him and believed that he would get a Nobel Prize in Medicine. I have just talked with my brother and mother who are both physicians, and remembered why I decided to become a doctor and study diseases in children. I alway feel that my father is still watching me and helping me.